Bullying nowadays may not be the same as what you grew up with!

Bullying nowadays may not be the same as what you grew up with!

An important realisation for parents to make is that physical bullying accounts for less than 3 percent of the bullying that occurs in schools. The other 97 percent is psychological.
It’s vital that parents take the time to clearly define bullying to their children as being anything that is DONE REPETITIVELY and WITH INTENTION that makes children feel scared, pressured or down on themselves. What at times may seem innocent or “typical kid” behavior that we as parents grew up with are actually the small seeds of where bullying and harassment occurs. As adults, most of us have “banter” with our friends that sometimes can seem a little harsh but we understand it is only a bit of fun as by this time we know who our true friends are and it is only true friends that get away with talking to us in this way, if anyone oversteps the mark we are confident enough to tell them and as our friends they will almost certainly listen. 
Children on the other hand are constantly making new friends and are not sure who they can really trust. Constant name calling and teasing, intentionally excluding a child from a group, physically displaying your disapproval of classmate by something as small as rolling the eyes every time a certain classmate speaks are all poor social habits that can lead to feelings getting hurt. Just imagine how bad this can be for a child where there is also physical bullying on top of this!
We would all like to believe that our children know how to behave but in a few cases due to peer pressure, without realising what they are doing, even the best of children can get drawn into becoming one of the bullies. Taking just a little time out to chat with with your child about the right and wrong way to behave will not only help them to recognise bullying when it occurs in the first instance but will help them not to get roped in to the bullies circle!



Request information

Request Information Now!